You have created the perfect resume.
You have your basic concepts about data structures, algorithms, discrete Math and Statistics clear.
You know you are the right person for the job – as your capabilities fit the job description perfectly.
But still your resume is not getting selected for the open big data jobs.
This is the reality that hits many aspiring Data Scientists/Hadoop developers/Hadoop admins - and we know how to help.
Big data is a new industry and since Hadoop is a new technology, there are not enough experts to consult. Career counsellors at DeZyre often answer various resume related questions or queries related to big data interview questions from aspiring Hadoop developers –
- How should they structure their big data Hadoop resumes to land a big data job in the best big data companies?
- What do employers from top-notch big data companies look for in Hadoop resumes?
- How do recruiters select the best Hadoop resumes from the pile?
We organized a DeZyre InSync session to answer all the above questions through a live webinar on – “Interview Tips to Get Hired by Big Data Hadoop Companies”. We had the pleasure to invite industry expert Bob Kelly, Founder & Chief Recruiter at CareerPlanners Inc. to speak on –
- Do’s and Don’ts during interviews.
- What recruiters look for in Hadoop resumes?
CareerPlanners Inc. is a recruiting company that helps big data companies find premium applicants for big data jobs through effective search methods and extensive target advertising that can add value to the available big data hadoop job positions. CareerPlanners Inc. has worked with Cloudera, IBM, MapR, SAP, and Hortonworks. CareerPlanners Inc. has customers and partners from various industrial sectors like –social media (Match.com), Oil and Gas, Agero, etc.
You can click on the link below to listen to a recording of the recent webinar on “Interview Tips to Get Hired by Big Data Hadoop Companies” by Bob Kelly.
Big Data Interview Tips
The webinar discusses some important tips that candidates can follow to be successful in big data interviews.
- The best applicants are those who attend a big data interview with an upbeat and positive attitude. Recruiters or hiring managers are not looking for applicants who can answer all their questions but they want candidates who are good at data-driven problem solving approach. It is not just enough if you have a strong work experience with all the required technical skills and certifications for the job role, but lack confidence.
- Applicants must understand why a particular job position is open and must distinguish themselves as to how they would fit into given big data opportunity and the goals of the big data companies
- Applicants must show the recruiters what they are doing to enhance their big data skills. Let the recruiter know if you have taken any renowned certifications or trainings to enhance your professional knowledge in the big data market. Self-improvement is the key to success in cracking any big data interview as it helps hiring managers find competent candidates that can add value to the data lake of big data companies.
Click Here to get $40 off on Big Data Training and Certification
- Applicants must be ready to face criticism as they might not like the answers for any kind of questions they ask the recruiters.
- A resume of 15-16 pages is definitely going to shiver down the recruiter’s spines. Make sure that the resume is no more than 4 pages. Even if you have strong work history, several projects, certifications or trainings-do not put the entire history on the resume but rather exhibit those skills during the interview when asked by the recruiter.
- Be yourself in front of the recruiters and be confident that you are giving your best.
- Before attending any big data interview make sure that you have a clear understanding of the “Must-Have” and “Nice-to-Have” skills for a job opportunity. It is good if you have all the “Nice-to-Have” skills required to fill up a position along with the “Must-Have’s” but do not be hesitant even if you do not possess all the “Nice-to-Have” skills.
- Applicants must exhibit their enthusiasm to really want to work for an available big data opportunity. Let the recruiters know your interests and desire to work for a big data company.
- Applicants must be supportive and in favour of various open source tools along with strong knowledge in Java.
- Be prepared to answer various types of big data interview questions if you are applying for a big data Hadoop job role. Hiring managers can ask as simple questions as tell me about the Hadoop ecosystem or can ask code review questions or situation questions relating to a big data problem.
- Last but not the least, to crack a big data interview, applicants need to sell themselves by convincing the recruiters that they are the best fit for a give big data job role within their time frame and budget.
Big Data Resume Tips-
- Resume should not contain buzzwords.
- Scan your resume twice or thrice to ensure that it does not contain spelling or grammar mistakes.
- Ensure that the employment dates in your resume match-up with your other documents.
- Don’t let your resume become a runaway.
Commonly Asked Big Data Hadoop Related Job Questions
Bob Kelly answered some of the commonly asked big data Hadoop related job questions by soon-to-be Hadoopers-
1) As big data is new, how many years of experience will grab the attention of recruiters?
The years of experience depends on the type of big data position recruiter are actually looking for. There are companies that look for highly experienced big data professionals but do not get disappointed because big data companies are on the verge of hiring several big data professionals for entry level positions. Recruiters do look for candidates with experience but on average 3 years of experience is enough to land a lucrative big data job.
2) What is the best Hadoop certification program according to hiring managers or recruiters MapR, Cloudera, IBM or Hortonworks?
Any certification program that provides best value for your money is the best because recruiters don’t look for certification programs from a particular university or a particular Hadoop distribution vendor. IBM accredited Hadoop certification or Cloudera accredited CCDH certification, either of them is good enough to fetch you a big data Hadoop job provided you have the competent skill set.
3) What is the scope for professionals from disciplines other than big data to be hired?
Not to worry, if you haven’t worked previously in any of the big data companies. If you have some relational database skills like Sybase, programming experience and knowledge about the data pipeline then you can crack a big data job as relevant big data skills can be mastered after working on real time projects.
4) What are the pay packages offered by big data companies for beginners with formal Hadoop Training?
The average pay package for a Hadoop Administrator is approximately $90,000 to $100000 (with additional bonus of 15-20%). For experienced Hadoop Administrators, the pay package is as high as $120,000 with 20% bonus. Hadoop developer jobs pay scale is between the range of $110,000 to $145,000 with 20% additional performance bonus.
For the complete list of big data companies and their salaries- CLICK HERE
5) I am from ETL Java background and have taken a formal Hadoop training experience. Do recruiters hire candidates without any prior working experience in Hadoop for big data job roles?
It completely depends on the other technical skills and non-technical skills that you have. Hiring managers or recruiters are look for mix and match of other data engineering skills. So, do not discourage yourself if you do not have any industry experience in working on Hadoop projects, there is probability that you will get hired.
6) Do recruiters hire entry level candidates for the role of Data Scientists?
Data scientists is one of the hottest area of 21 st century and recruiters look for candidates who have the ability to draw algorithms and intelligence that the company values. The way in which a candidate presents his/her skills makes it easy for hiring managers to choose the smart talent.
7) What is the probability for big data beginners to be hired for a Hadoop job or any other big data job role?
There is great probability for professionals to be hired for a big data Hadoop job role regardless of their real-time experience on industry projects. If you are working in a company that does not work on any kind of big data projects then you can gain some experience by working on big data projects side by side along with your job. Recruiters do not look for years of experience if you fit in the exact role with all the required skills they are looking for.
8) Is Cloudera Hadoop Certification better than IBM Certification?
All the certification programs carry equal weight unless you are looking to work at Cloudera. The primary goal of hiring managers is to hire technically competent people who can be successful at a particular company, regardless of the fact that they have IBM accredited Hadoop certification from DeZyre, Cloudera Certification, MapR certification or certification from any other university.
9) How often do recruiting managers look at LinkedIn profile? Should candidates keep their LinkedIn profile up-to-date?
LinkedIn profile adds great value to your career as hiring mangers across the globe scan LinkedIn profiles to find perfect candidates that can match with the job requirement. Hiring managers monitor online activity of applicants closely and participating in various LinkedIn groups, GitHub, Google Code, etc. definitely adds value to a big data profile.
10) Is big data a fad?
Big data is not a passing fad but the future of the enterprises which will have a profound impact changing how businesses operate.
Following the above mentioned interview tips and preparing a well-structured big data Hadoop resume is worth your time. Big Data will become bigger in the coming years and there will be a lot of lucrative Big Data Hadoop jobs in the market. Talent, well acquired skills, structured and planned resume and good prep for interviews will help you get the best Big Data Hadoop jobs in the future.
If you think that the post will benefit one of your colleagues or friends, then please do share it.