BI and Analytics Developer
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
Analysis and Requirements Gathering (25%)
Define complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
Gather complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
Design and Development (25%)
- Lead semantic design through SQL development and BI tools to refine presentation of data to meet reporting needs.
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications from the complex system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and dataoutput by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for complex application development tasks.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
- Provide monitoring and guidance in application design and development to more junior staff.
- Provide thought leadership in designing and developing innovative integrated solutions.
Testing and Documentation (25%)
- Responsible for unit, integration, stress/load testing of reports and dashboards to ensure functional and performance requirements are met.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Create and document complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
- Ensure documentation of requirements, design, testing and user guides meets departmental and professional standards.
- Mentor junior staff in testing tools and technologies by reviewing their work.
Implementation and Maintenance (25%)
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve complex problems by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Provide support by investigating and resolving issues, including complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of tools such as: the SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite including Information Design Tool (IDT), Web Intelligence (WebI), Design Studio, Lumira, Dashboard Designer/Xcelsius); other reporting tools such as SQL Reporting Services and visualization and data discovery tools (e.g., Tableau, Qlikview).
- Experience in design, development and implementation of Dashboarding & Business Intelligence applications.
- Experience with data analysis, trending and KPI development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management, requirements gathering, software development methodologies and project documentation practices.
- Proficient in SQL, Excel and other Microsoft Office tools.
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Experience with MS-SQL development, data warehouse and data mart design.
- Familiarity with student and faculty data and information systems, University business processes and systems, including ISIS and PowerFAIDS.
- Understanding of BusinessObjects system and security administration.
- Familiarity with tools such as: Master Data Services, JIRA, GitHub.
- MS, MBA or PMP.
- Experience developing reports and dashboards against SAP Business Warehouse (BW) data sources, including Business Explorer (BEx) queries.
- Familiarity with OLAP data sources, SAP HANA, non-relational databases (NoSQL), big data technologies such as Hadoop or Amazon MapReduce.
- Experience with using statistical languages (MATLAB, R) and statistical packages in programming languages (Python, C++).
- Experience with modern web technologies, protocols and languages (REST, SOAP, JSON, XML).