Company Name: Funding Circle
Location: San Francisco, CA, United States
Date Posted: 03rd Jun, 2016
- Be an explorer: our data analysts wade through datasets large and small, internal and external, to bring order to chaos. They partner with business users / data scientists to provide insight for all types of questions. Some will take 5 minutes, others 5 months.
- Be a builder: you’ll be building our global data platform that includes our data warehouse and front-end tools.
- Be an owner: you’ll be the go-to person for some of our key data assets. You’ll also work closely with business users and product management to identify which new data assets we should acquire.
- Be a sentry: you’ll help architect our reporting framework and be expected to sound the alarm if something looks wrong.
- Be a collaborator: you’ll be expected to forge deep bonds with your business counterparts, understanding their data needs and sharing ownership of their outcomes. No tossing responses over the fence.
- Be a data evangelist: lead by example and push for high quality data-driven decision-making throughout the company.
- Be a teacher: be generous with your time and expertise to teach stakeholders how to answer their own questions with the data platform you build.
- a passion for data… you dabble in APIs on the weekend and dream about left joins.
- confidence when hacking through large, often messy, data sets.
- 2 - 5 years in a highly analytical role preferably in tech, consulting, or finance.
- a strong conceptual ability to understand how our key data assets fit together into a global platform. Know your piece, but also how it fits in.
- data modeling skills for OLTP and OLAP systems.
- a strong SQL query/development skills (PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS SQL) plus query tuning and optimization skills.
- a good understanding of ETL processes and data pipelines with cloud-based tech (AWS).
- an understanding of data quality and data quality controls, and the ability to convert them into specific technical requirements and documentation.
- an understanding of different data formats (JSON, XML, etc.).
- experience with scripting languages like Python.
- a relentless drive for answers regardless of obstacles.
- excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with non-technical people.
- an eye for elegant data visualization, and experience with tools like Tableau.
- confidence in owning process: you’ll identify and execute on high impact projects, triage external requests, and make sure you bring projects to conclusion in time for the results to be useful.
- a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from a top-tier university.
Brownie points for:
- Engineering or Computer Science degree.
- agile software development experience (Ruby, Python, Java etc.).
- exposure to event-driven architecture (Confluent platform).
- data remediation experience.
- experience interacting with 3rd party data providers.