Data Scientist – Predictive Analytics
Company Name: Gallup
Location: Irvine, CA
Date Posted: 03rd Jun, 2016
- Gallup data scientists help clients effectively use data to make better decisions. You will apply your knowledge of various statistical and machine-learning techniques to a wide variety of challenging projects — each one unique and customized to our clients’ complex global questions.
- You will work on the biggest stage for researchers as you focus on explaining and predicting large-scale social behavior (e.g., consumer spending, lifestyle trends, political stability, election outcomes, and employee performance and retention) using data from Gallup, the web and third parties (e.g., governments, IGOs and NGOs). We have data that no one else has.
- This is an opportunity to use your creativity to autonomously explore new avenues of social research as part of a legacy founded by George Gallup in 1936 that sets the gold standard in survey research methodology.
- A master’s degree or Ph.D. from a statistics, mathematics, computer science, computational social science or operations research program is preferred. We will consider advanced degrees from other programs, provided candidates have significant statistical and/or computational experience and skills.
- Solid background in the fundamentals of machine learning and statistics
- Minimum of two to three years of experience conducting analysis and writing code in R; experience with Python, SQL or other languages used for analysis is a plus
- At least one to two years of experience in building production-level machine learning and predictive analytics models along with data pipelines
- Experience merging and analyzing large, diverse data sources — especially observational data
- The ability to explain complex technical material to nontechnical audiences
- Experience building predictive models and implementing them in a production environment is preferred
- Knowledge in distributed systems and large-scale data platforms is a plus