1. Work closely with Sr. Data Scientist to analyze structured and unstructured data, develop and apply new and existing models and algorithms, and publish well documented, reproducible work.
2. Support work with WBG operations, data, research, and technology groups to determine opportunities to apply big data for areas such as Transport, Energy, Health, Water, Climate, Disaster, Fragility and Conflict, Poverty, Inflation, etc.
3. Support scoping, design and implementation of pilot projects and studies for developing big data solutions and use cases.
4. Support a community of big data users in the World Bank Group for peer learning, development of shared resources, knowledge and approaches toward reproducible work.
5. Participate in activities and exchange information with other World Bank groups dealing with data issues including the Big Data Working Group, Open Data Working Group and the Geospatial Working Group.
6. Raise awareness of data science methods and techniques through presentations, blog posts and training sessions.
7. Support existing partnerships and help form new partnerships with private sector, academia, UN agencies, and governmental agencies to further the use of big data for development.
8. Create, curate, and manage blog posts and data science talks and other events that illustrate the use of big data for World Bank operations.
1. Master’s degree in a relevant discipline and 5+ years of relevant work experience. PhD will be a plus. Relevant disciplines include Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics and other quantitative disciplines with strong computational elements.
2. Technical expertise and background – Experience in various aspects of data science: a creative problem solver with a strong understanding of statistics and research design. Excellent working knowledge of either R or Python. Excellent working knowledge of SQL and NoSQL systems and related approaches to large scale distributed computing. Strong understanding of network analytics, text analytics and machine learning methods and strategies.
3. Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner. Strong network with leading institutions (academic, private, and/or government) and established collaboration on big data topics.
4. Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others' work.
5. Written and Verbal Communication – Delivers information effectively in support of team or workgroup. Good writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English and an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and lively format.
6. Data Interpretation and Analysis – Able to demonstrate functional proficiency level sufficient to apply this competency to all tasks, including those with significant challenges with both structure and unstructured data.
7. Teamwork and Inclusion – Proven ability to collaborate with other team members across boundaries and contribute productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view. Able to use strong interpersonal and teamwork skills to cultivate effective, productive client relationships and partnerships across organizational boundaries, to generate excitement and momentum around the Big Data Initiative.