Junior Data Scientist
Company Name: Verizon
Location: Lake Mary, FL - United States
Date Posted: 30th Mar, 2016
- The Data Analyst – Junior Data Scientist supports a high performance forensic and audit analytics team in its efforts to identify and drive data mining efforts through a risk based approach. The enthusiasm in this position helps mitigate fraud, identify misconduct and control gaps utilizing data mining and analysis. Responsibilities include the following:
- Passion for growth and learning new techniques with vigor and enthusiasm. Strong individual contributor with top notch team collaboration skills.
- Strong ability to independently and proactively initiate projects, hypothesize business transaction flows and fraudulent scenarios.
- Design, extract, normalize, analyze, review and automate analysis for Internal Audit utilizing enterprise data warehouse, extracts and data mining tools; coordinate with business for outside data source requirements.
- Design, develop, maintain and communicate visual dashboards.
- Design and develop ad-hoc analysis based on business requirement needs.
- Identify and use appropriate investigative and analytical technologies to interpret and verify results.
- Coordinate with business to ensure follow-up and resolution of exceptions including specific individual resolution as well as root-cause analysis and control gap identification.
- Review large software implementations to identify transaction flow gaps, design flaws and data integrity issues.
- Actively participates in the completion of department initiatives to support the development of a best-in-class Internal Audit function.
- Maintain databases and related programs in a thorough and efficient manner.
- Take part in training courses to increase skill set and technical capabilities in order to better serve the needs of the analytics team.
- Strong business analytical skills a must; ability to apply business logic to design and implement data mining techniques on large data sets.
- Projects with evidence of Creative and Critical thinking a must.
- Understanding of Data Warehousing is a must.
- Experience working with SAP preferred
- Proficient in the use of Teradata SQL, MS SQL server (SSIS/SSAS experience preferred), Data Visualization (e.g., Tableau or other), MS Access, MS Excel, Visual Basic, and Sharepoint.
- Experience designing, developing, implementing and maintaining a database and programs to manage data analysis efforts.
- For internal candidates, experience with Verizon Wireless Enterprise Data Warehouse preferred.
- Working knowledge of ‘Big Data’ concepts and Hadoop/Hive, Teradata Aster, and R tools preferred.
- Working knowledge of building self-serve analytics tools for business users a plus.
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis, data mining and predictive modeling tools and techniques a plus.
- Working knowledge of application development and/or web development a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team in a fast changing environment with changing priorities and changing time constraints.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to interpret business requests as well as communicate findings in a user-friendly manner.
- Experience in normalizing data to ensure it is homogeneous and consistently formatted to enable sorting, query and analysis.
- Ability to write clear, concise reports and presentations with an ability to orally communicate effectively; organizational and documentation skills a must.
- An understanding of risk management methodology and factors.
- Consolidates issues for management level review; develops clear written recommendations, which require minimal editing; presents recommendations and resolves issues with management.
- BS/BA degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Accounting, Business, Finance, Economics, Statistics or related field. Masters degree a plus. At least a 3.0/4.0 overall GPA or equivalent
- Requires a minimum of 4 years relevant work experience; Analytics, technology, auditing, accounting, finance, or economics.