Lead Data Scientist
Company Name: Verisk Analytics
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Date Posted: 10th Apr, 2017
- Independently executes data analysis and modeling projects from project/sample design, reception and processing of data, performing analyses and modeling to final reports/presentations, communication of results and sales support.
- Utilizes advanced statistical techniques to create high-performing predictive models and creative analyses to address business objectives and client needs.
- Provides technical sales support, which may include various analyses and the preparation and presentation of analytical results.
- Tests new statistical analysis methods, software and data sources for continual improvement of quantitative solutions.
- Creates clear and easy to understand reports and/or PowerPoint decks for client meetings or third party collaborations.
- Verbally presents analysis ideas, progress and results to internal managers, external partners and customers.
- Communicates with internal groups on data specifications and with IT engineers on model/algorithm implementation.
- Follows, and may create, detailed project plans to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget. Provides high quality ongoing customer/partner support; answering questions, resolving problems and building solutions.
- Assures compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of modeling and analysis projects.
- Shares knowledge within the analytics group.
- Graduate-level degree with concentration in a quantitative discipline such as statistics computer science, mathematics, economics, or operations research.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, listening and teamwork skills, and effective presentation skills. This is absolutely essential since you will have a lot of exposure to different internal groups (data, IT, product and sales) as well as third-party partners and customers (insurance companies).
- 3+ years of relevant work experience including 1 year of statistical modeling and data mining in a P&C insurance context (insurance company or insurance consulting firm) using large and complex datasets. Experience with personal lines rating plan modeling is a strong plus. Life or health insurance experience is a bonus.
- Expertise in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, GLM, tree models, cluster analysis, principal components, and feature creation, validation.
- Programming experience with SAS (STAT, macros, EM), R and other statistical software (CART, Emblem, SPSS, Matlab). Greenplum and UNIX experience is a plus.
- Detail-oriented technical aptitude with strong logical, problem solving, and decision-making skills. Excellent organization/planning skills and talent for managing many large and complex datasets.
- Aptitude in performing multiple tasks and dealing with changing deadline requirements. This includes knowing when to escalate issues. Maintains a focused, flexible, organized, and proactive manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).