Senior Big Data (Hadoop) Specialist
Company Name: RBC
Location: Toronto, ON, CANADA
Date Posted: 09th Feb, 2017
- Sets technical direction for all development, maintenance and application architecture initiatives ensuring adherence to overall IT architectural and solution direction.
- Provides leadership on the construction and maintenance of robust and efficient applications and reusable frameworks.
- Expert consultant on technical and management direction for strategic projects with a focus on the cross-divisional strategies.
- Provides expert counseling to application development community
- Researches emerging trends/best practices and determines implications of proposed solutions on meeting business unit strategy.
- Develops feasibility studies and proposals for senior management and executive decisions on large complex projects.
- Together with Project Manager, determines best mix of development, interfacing applications, third party vendor solutions to meet business requirements and project objectives.
- Develops criteria to evaluate 3rd party vendors and software as well as due diligence exercises. (For very complex projects, conducts due diligence; for less complex projects oversees the process.)
- Key contributor in the creation of technical strategy for applications within RBC IT with the architecture group.
- Identifies technical and business opportunities to take advantage of cross project knowledge, best practices and reusability to expedite projects.
- Leads complex group meetings (including business partners) for technical design, decision making, problem solving, implementation and strategic planning.
- Excellent knowledge of Big Data like Hadoop, it’s architecture; technology components across different layers including but not limited to Spark, spark-Streaming, HDFS , Pig; scripting languages Scala, Python etc..
- Previous experience managing data applications around very large databases (VLDB) (Terabyte/petabyte scale), including no-SQL databases
- Strong technical background on Enterprise Application, Enterprise Data management and Interoperability.
- Experience in data modelling as well knowledge of ETL with a variety of data types and sources and can apply ETL on Hadoop
- Exposure to data governance technologies and Data technologies like data profiling, cleansing, standardization and MDM
- Exposure to enterprise reporting and analytic tools based on Hadoop/HDFS sourced data like Tableau
- Familiarity with moving real time data and ensuring proper controls around it
- Expertise with developing enterprise level solutions using Java technology
- Knowledge of Lambda Architecture for Big data.
- Expertise in designing end-to-end application solutions
- Knowledge of working with Cloud based services for Storage and analytics.
- Excellent planning, estimating, communication, presentation and leadership skills