Software Engineer III, Consumer Data Platforms
Company Name: ESPN
Location: Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 08th May, 2017
- Build cool things – Build software across our entire cutting-edge data platform, including data processing, storage, and serving large-scale web APIs, with awesome cutting-edge technologies. We operate in real-time with high-availability
- Harness curiosity – Change how we think, act, and utilize our data by performing exploratory and quantitative analytics, data mining, and discovery
- Innovate and inspire – Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action
- Have pride – Ensure performance isn’t our weakness by implementing and refining robust data processing, REST services, RPC (in an out of HTTP), and caching technologies
- Grow with us – Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with data architects, stream processing specialists, API developers, our DevOps team, and analysts to design systems which can scale elastically in ways which make other groups jealous
- Not your first rodeo – Has 4+ years of experience developing with a mix of languages (Java, Scala, Bash, etc.) and frameworks to implement data ingest, processing, and serving technologies. Experience with real-time and very large scalable online systems are preferred
- Data and API ninja –You are also very handy with No-SQL systems such as HBase, MongoDB, or Cassandra; Understand reactive programming such as ReactiveX/RxJava and dependency injection such as Spring to develop REST services. Know and can performance tune ANSI SQL like the back of your hand
- Have a technology toolbox – Hands on experience with newer technologies relevant to the data space such as EMR, Kafka, Hive, Chef. You’ll have some experience with developing in a cloud native environment.
- Problem solver – Enjoy new and meaningful technology or business challenges which require you to think and respond quickly
- Passion and creativity – Are passionate about data, technology, & creative innovation
- Affinity for sports.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, linode, Azure, Heroku, or OpenStack.
- Experience with Chef, puppet and/or jenkins
- Experience with Apache Kafka, kinesis, or Google Pub/Sub
- Proficiency with agile development methodologies.Proficiency with linux/unix based systems.